Yesterday, Fannie Mae released their National Housing Survey for the second quarter of 2011. They survey the American public on a multitude of questions concerning today’s housing market. Each quarter, we like to pull out some of the findings we deem most interesting. Here they are for the most recent report:
Most Important Reasons to Buy a Home
When we talk about homeownership today, it seems that the financial aspects always jump to the front of the discussion. However, the study shows that the four major reasons a person buys a home have nothing to do with money. The top four reasons, in order, are:
- It means having a good place to raise children and provide them with a good education
- You have a physical structure where you and your family feel safe
- It allows you to have more space for your family
- It gives you control of what you do with your living space (renovations and updates)
The Home as an Investment
Though most people purchase a home for non-financial reasons, everyone realizes there is a money component to homeownership. Here is what they said on this issue:
- 65% of the general population (and 67% of homeowners) believe that homeownership is a ‘safe’ investment.
- 56% believe that homeownership has more potential as an investment than any other traditional asset class.
- 69% think that now is a good time to buy a home (this number has increased in each of the last two quarters)
Rent vs. Buy
We are always interested in the difference people see in renting vs. owning.
- 63% of renters have aspirations to someday own their own home
- 72% of renters think that owning is superior to renting
- 95% of homeowners see homeownership as a positive experience (4% see it as a negative experience) while 82% of renters see renting as a positive experience (17% see it as a negative experience)
- 96% of homeowners live in a single family residence while 46% of renters live in a multi-unit building
Even in difficult times, Americans still realize the value of homeownership
by The KCM Crew
Tags: Buying a home in Winter Springs Fl, Buying a house in Winter Springs Fl, Help buying a house in Winter Springs Fl, I want to live in Winter Springs Fl, I want to move to Winter Springs Fl, sell my home in Winter Springs Fl, sell my house in Winter Springs Fl, What is it like to live in Winter Springs Fl?, Winter Springs Fl houses for sale, Winter Springs homes for sale