Category: Home Improvement.
Tags: Carbon Monoxide, Home Improvement in Kansas City MO, Homes in North Kansas City, Kansas City Home Improvement, North Kansas City Homes
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, tasteless, toxic gas. It is produced from incomplete combustion of charcoal, wood and gas furnaces, gas hot water heaters, wood and gas fireplaces, kerosene heaters, lawnmowers, cars, gas powered generators and power washers and gas grills. Dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide develop due to poor installation or maintenance of these items, poor ventilation and failure or damage to the equipment in service. Check flues and chimney for blockages and loose connections.
Place a carbon monoxide detector near the sleeping area and one on every level. Carbon monoxide will rise. If the alarm goes off – evacuate everyone immediately as someone’s life may be in danger. The next step is to ventilate by opening any nearby doors and windows. The final step is to investigate the source of the carbon monoxide. Another option, after evacuating everyone, is to call 911. Emergency crews have monitors that will establish the level of carbon monoxide in your home.
Prolonged exposure can lead to brain damage and even death. A carbon monoxide detector does not work as a smoke detector. A smoke detector does not work as a carbon monoxide detector. A large percentage of deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning occur during power outages.
Any question about this topic or any real estate questions, don’t hesitate to contact either Gerry Luke – Gerry.Luke@Century21.com or Bill Jennings at Bill.Jennings@Century21.com. Thank you! We would also like to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!