Top 10 Seller Mistakes
By Vicki Holton
Kirk Holton Team
The most common mistakes sellers make when trying to sell their home
Your home is your castle..YOU know what looks best for you and your family to enjoy the home and make it comfortable, but what are buyers and their agents looking for? Here are some tips from the Kirk Holton Team to help you see your home through the more objective eyes of an agent or buyer prospect. This is a list of DONTS, and believe me, we have encountered all of these “seller mistakes!” If even ONE or TWO of these mistakes applies to your home, you may have difficulty selling it.
1. Don’t mow the lawn or rake, trim bushes, etc. for showings, planting flowers is a waste of time too
2. Forget exterior painting..they will want to change the color anyway
3. Have an uninviting front door with hardware that needs polishing, cobwebs, and peeling paint
4. Make sure that the buyer smells an odor of cigarette or cigar smoke when they enter the home, or cook a dish with garlic right before the showing
5. Allow your dog to roam the house and jump on people as they enter…they are sure to love your dog as much as you do
6. Do not clean, pick up wet towels or tidy up…a home should look lived in!
7. Keep the drapes closed for a cozy, dark feeling
8. Keep the AC and Heat off, make the buyers as uncomfortable as you can with the temperature of the home
9. Make sure things fall out of the closets when you open them…it will make the storage seem larger
10.Don’t replace light bulbs…especially in the basement…that way the buyers can’t see all the mess and dusty appliances
If you make even two of these mistakes…no wonder your home is not selling!