So you want to sell your home. Great. Here is what you should know AND be willing to do. Let’s just say if you want to be in the pool, you have to jump off the diving board. Will the water be warm and friendly or cold and unpleasant?
Listing your property in the market we are all experiencing today is now, my term, a SCIENCE. Think I’m kidding?
Here are the facts: First, know that YOU WANT TO SELL, not just list your property. Good now we know that you are ready to go to work….notice that four letter work. It will take work to get your property ready for all the agents and potential buyers who will come through. Picture a military inspection where white gloves are worn to detect even a hint of dust.
Are you getting the full meaning of the effort you are committing to? Homes that are selling today, that are owner occupied are being given the White Glove test. That test begins as prospects drive up and begin their judgmental scanning of what they are about to inspect. Your yard and entry must be manicured and present a welcoming appearance. What does that mean? It’s not complicated, just sweep the walkway of any debris, keep potted and planted flowers watered and looking well tended. As an agent & potential next owner reaches the lock box or key to open the Front Door, they want to see a fresh coat of paint and/or stain, any glass, clear and sparkling. That includes all windows.
Are you beginning to see your “Job Description”? You bet, it’s time to get out the q-tips and make your Product jump out against all competition. Addressing the preparations that each of the rooms in your home requires, think White Glove.
- Eliminate clutter and if the clutter has to be there, let it be organized. Closets should reflect spaciousness as well as your rooms.
- Store, off site, if necessary any furniture or other items that crowd any space.
- Be sure that pet odor does not exist—even when Paws & Claws do. Wings should be considered as well, keep those cages spotless.
- Garages and carports should be spotless as well. Any stains on the floor of a garage or driveway do not make good impressions.
I could go on and on and I will. We are now at the place where Pricing is addressed. You as the sellers may know what you would like to get for this spotless home that you have labored to get it ready to market. Of course you know. Now what you must also know that the agent you hire has as difficult a JOB DESCRIPTION as you do. In this buyers market you are competing with your product against all others that are comparable to yours. Your agent must research present and past sales, what properties that are now in escrow, physically inspect and use the best of their ability to give you all information to a PRICE THAT WILL LEAD TO A SALE as quickly as possible. Close of ESCROW is a beautiful thing and will stop all White Glove activities.
More coming on actual sales activities—-how close to the original asking price are properties selling—this is an EYE OPENER.
Will welcome your calls.
- Know what cold water feels like? It’s running out of White Gloves from all the showings and no offers.
- Know what a warm friendly pool feels like? Having multiple offers on your White Glove home.