With the price of gasoline today, you should be employing most, if not all, of the following easy steps that you can take to save at the pump!
- Avoid “jack-rabbit” starts and accelerate gently
- Slow down – the faster you go, the more you burn
- Anticipate slow or stopped traffic ahead and traffic lights – Take your foot off of the accelerator earlier, and coast.
- No warm up needed – There is no need to let a modern car warm up, or to race the engine upon start up.
- Use the air conditioner sparingly – open the windows when you are driving under 45mph.
- Vehicle maintenance – regular maintenance with oil and filter changes
- Get the junk out of your trunk – reducing the extra weight you carry in the trunk can save up to 2% fuel economy for every 100 lbs. that you remove, depending on the weight of the vehicle.
- Plan your route & combine trips –
- Gasoline – Keep fuel prices in mind, but don’t waste gas driving to a distant filling station to save a few cents per gallon.
- Finally, use your common sense!
For more information and suggestions about how you can save at the pump in Westlake Village, Ca., check out AAA, Auto Club of Southern California, Auto Research Center, 4/20/11 Report.