What Is a Home Inspection?
It is a general visual and operational examination of the home and property. The general inspection usually takes two to three hours, when the house is examined from the foundation to the chimney cap. The inspection includes observation of structural components like the roof, foundation, basement, exterior and interior walls, chimney, doors and windows and operation of the plumbing, heating and air conditioning as well as electrical systems and appliance functions.
In the Conejo Valley a buyer receives a comprehensive report that includes an objective evaluation of the condition of the home, relating existing defects and indicating potential problems.
When Should You Schedule An Inspection?
Make sure that your offer, make sure that it includes a protective clause that provides you with the right to cancel the contract within a Home Inspection contingency period, so that if you are unsatisfied with the report, you can cancel and receive your full deposit back.
Prior To The Inspecton…
Prepare a list of questions or concerns about the property and give it to the inspector in advance. This will ensure that your questions are addressed, and that any special arrangements can be made if necessary.
Make sure that your Realtor instructs the seller to have all areas accessible to the Inspector and that all utilities are operational.
If the attic access is in a closet, for example, make sure that all clothes and belongings have been removed from the closet.
During the in inspection….
It is really important that you, the homebuyer, and your Realtor be present during the inspection. By accompanying the inspector, you wil see first hand and have a better understanding of the conditions of each component throughout the house and property.
Communicate your concerns to your Realtor and the Inspector, and ask for clarification if you do not fully understand their explainations while they are both present. This will help your Realtor to be more precise in articulating your requests, in writing.
How Do I Choose The Right Inspector?
Call several candidates, and as the following questions:
- What will be inspected? A thorough inspection covers approximately 400+ items around the home as detailed earlier.
- What will I receive with my inspection report?
- Do you follow industry standards?
- How much will the service cost? Be sure to ask what factors will affect the price.
- How much time will the inspection take? Usually 3-4 hours, depending on the size of the property.
- May I attend the inspection? You have the right to be there and most home inspection companies will encourage your presence.
- Do you provide and explain the terms of an inspection agreement that defines the scope of the inspection?
- Do you carry Errors and Omissions Insurance and General Liability Insurance? If not, move on!
- Do you offer other services? For example, do they provide testing for Radon, septic, Water Quality, Carbon monoxide, Pool and spa, Pest Inspections, etc.
- Are you willing to supply me with a sample report? Qualified inspection companies will provide a sample report to substantiate that they abide by industry standards.
- When will the report be ready? Most home inspectors can turn the report around within 48 hours and some have the ability to print on-site.
Choosing the right Realtor is the most important part of the puzzle. Your realtor should be able to suggest several competent Home Inspectors for you to interview and decide which one is the best on for you. You will rely on your Realtor for information and suggestions throughout the transaction process, so make sure that you are working with someone who has extensive resources, up-to-date industry knowledge and experience in today’s ever changing real estate marketplace.
Make sure that you choose a qualified, trained professional home inspector to inspect your home. This is an investment of a lifetime, and you deserve confidence in your financial decisions.
Need more information about what you can expect from your home inspection in Westlake Village, ca., just give me a call at 805-300-0936 or email me at Debbie@DebbieSoden.com.