You just became a new homeowner in North Brevard County, Florida. Before you get overwhelmed it is best to have a maintenance schedule that will prevent small problems from turning into big headaches. This is a helpful list of what should be done at your new home that I compiled with the help of Ace’s Hardware “Mr. Fix It” and Home Sweet Home Inspection Company in Indian Head Park, IL.
* Watch out for Drips- Check under sinks periodically to look for leaks or water stains that might indicate leaks. Catching a small problem early can prevent water damage. Use a plunger to clean out sinks and tubs whenever water doesn’t drain normally.
* Check your circuits- Test the performance of the circuit breakers in your electrical circuit box twice year by flipping them off and back on. If you have a circuit that keeps shutting off with normal daily electrical use, call an electrician. A faulty circuit breaker could indicate a short in the wiring inside your wall.
* Have a chimney? They take a lot of weather abuse. Visually inspect them each year for signs of loose mortar or loose or missing bricks. Have the insides of chimneys cleaned every two to three years. Also check your roof for loose shingles or dangling gutters.
* Foundation – Check out the foundation for cracks or gaps that could let in water or varmints. Also look at the ground around your house. As homes age, they often sink slightly below the surrounding ground. This settling lets water puddle against the foundation and possibly damage it. Before doing Major landscaping work, figure out whether the excess water will flow toward the house or away.
* Check the flashing 4 times a year. Water is a major enemy of your home. Flashing, the metal pieces used to seal the areas between roofs and chimneys and around doors and windows, are especially vulnerable to damage by wind or age. Loose flashing can let water seep under a roof or inside walls, which in turn can cause mold.
* Air Conditioner/Furnace- Change your furnace & A/C filters monthly. This is so critical yet so easy to do. Clogged filters decrease efficiency and can cause breakdowns.
* Drain your water heater at least once a year. City of Titusville’s water will leave some sediment in the water tank. Removing this sediment once a year can prolong the heater’s useful life.
* Clean coils under your refrigerator once a year. This will prolong the life of your new refrigerator.
* Water Softener System – Have yearly maintenance done on it to keep it running properly.
* A/C – Yearly Maintenance is recommended.
* Be aware of Life Spans. Key components of your home should be replaced before they fail, based on the average useful lives.
- Exterior house paint – 5-10 years
- Furnace- 15-50 years
- Roof – 13-15 years
- Water Heater – 7-15 years
- Wood Deck Staining -4-7 years
- A/C – 15-20 years